The High-Level Taskforce on COVID-19 Pandemic Wednesday, 29th April 2020 Juba, South Sudan
April 29, 2020 (Thessherald)–The High-Level Taskforce on COVID-19 Pandemic held its 39th Meeting on the afternoon of Wednesday 29th April 2020 under the Chairmanship of H. E. Dr Riek Machar Teny-Dhurgon, the First Vice President and Deputy Chairman of the High-Level Taskforce on COVID-19 Pandemic.
• The High-Level Taskforce was briefed on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Situation in South Sudan, the Region and the Globe by the Honourable Minister for Health.
• The Honourable Minister informed the Taskforce that on Wednesday 29th April 2020, the Public Health Laboratory released 100 results. Of these, one (1) case was confirmed positive while fourteen (14), were equivocal and need a retest.
• The confirmed case is a 23-year-old female who is one of the 34 mourners planning to travel to Kuajok, Warrap State.
South Sudan now has Thirty-Five (35) confirmed cases.
• In light of the foregoing: The High-Level Taskforce places a moratorium on the travel of all the thirty-four (34) mourners to Kuajok in Warrap State.
• This is necessary to allow health workers to identify, isolate and test contacts.
• The Taskforce urges all potential contacts to voluntarily come forward and make themselves known to the health workers.
• The High-Level Taskforce directs the Ministry of Health to expedite procurement of three (3) more Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Machines in order to enhance the testing capacity of the Public Health Laboratory.
• The High-level Taskforce, commends the United Nations system, notably, the World Health Organisation (WHO), the United Nation’s Development Programme (UNDP), the United Nations’ World Food Programme and the UN Resident Coordination Office in South Sudan for their support to the government in the fight against COVID-19.
• The High-Level Taskforce approves the use of cloth- face mask; and advises members of the public to adopt the use of locally manufactured cloth-face mask at all times, especially in public places.
• The High-Level Taskforce on Coronavirus (COVID- 19) Pandemic remains seized of the situation.