UN decries killing of aid workers, urges authorities to apprehend perpetrators
November 4, 2020 (Thessherald)–The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs has strongly condemned the increasing and targeted killing of aid workers in the country and urged concerned authorities to investigate the incident and hold those responsible to account.
This comes after an aid worker was killed by a group of armed youth, just a day after another humanitarian staff lost his life while in the line of duty.
Alain Noudéhou, the Humanitarian Coordinator in South Sudan, expressed deep concern and condemned increasing acts of violence against aid workers in the country.
“I am appalled by these repeated acts of violence against humanitarians. South Sudanese aid workers are enduring difficult conditions to deliver lifesaving assistance to their fellow citizens and should be protected,” he said.
“These two humanitarian workers killed in the past week were South Sudanese and were delivering critical nutrition services to vulnerable people affected by local conflicts and flooding,” said Noudéhou in a statement.
He appealed to relevant authorities to identify the killers and hold them accountable for their actions.
“The violence and the impunity must stop. We need safety and security of the people receiving and delivering aid.”
Last month, a community-based staff working for Nile Hope, a South Sudanese non-governmental organization, in Canal/Pigi County in Jonglei State was fatally shot by armed youth.
“He was on his way from the organization’s base to a facility providing supplementary feeding and outpatient therapeutic care to malnourished children and new mothers. His colleague escaped with minor injuries. All humanitarian services have been temporarily suspended in the area following the shooting.”
The incident brings the number of humanitarian workers killed this year in South Sudan to nine – this is three times the total number of humanitarians who lost their lives in the country in 2019. A total of 124 aid workers, mostly South Sudanese, have lost their lives in the line of duty since the conflict broke out in late 2013.