Jikany, Padang leaders urge calm as ethnic violence rocks Upper Nile State
Leaders of Jikany and Padang communities are calling for peace in the wake of the recent revenge attacks that killed 12 people and left dozens wounded in Upper Nile State.
“The leaders of Jieng Padang and Jikany Nuer in the SPLM convened a briefed meeting at the SPLM House on 19th Jan 2021. Chaired by the former Governor of Upper Nile State Hon Simon Kun Puoch. This meeting was cognizance of the two incidents of attacks in Melut County in Upper Nile State.”
According to a statement extended by the former Speaker of Parliament of the now-defunct Maiwut state, Chuol Dep, the first attack took place on 13th Jan 2021, in Bai Ajak village, and is believed to have been carried out by suspected armed men from Nasir County and Ulang County, Upper Nile State.
“The attack left five innocent civilians dead, including two young men, a child, two women and an elderly person, but wounded more others. The attackers took over 500-700 heads of cattle, though later all cattle were recovered,” the statement further explained.
The second incident took place in Paloch on 14th Jan 2021, of which seven (7) civilians from Gajaak lost their lives and five others critically wounded.
“Due to these two bloody incidents in the State, leaders from the two Communities of Jieng Padang and Eastern Jikany Nuer expressed their sadness and grief for the tragedy in the State.”
The following are the Resolutions reached after the meeting to address the situation in question.
• We the leaders of these two communities are abhorred by violence incidents in Melut County, and condemned these attacks against the civilians in both Bai Ajak and Paloch in the strongest terms possible.
• We conveyed our heartfelt sympathies and Condolences to the bereaved families of Bai Ajak village, and also our Condolences to the family of our beloved Gajaak civilians killed in Paloch.
• Strongly appealed for the calm among the youth on both sides and work to restore peace immediately.
• We send this warning strongly to all anti-peace elements, to cease all forms of provocations and negative propaganda on social media.
• We urged all the youth to ease tensions in the Counties mentioned above, and to engage in dialogue as the only viable means to restore peaceful coexistence and stability in our State.
• Appealed to the Government of National Unity to apprehend these Criminals and bring them to justice. Appealed to all Organized Forces Stationed in area to protect Civilians lives and their property.