“Rubbish, I don’t have bank accounts in Europe,” Moses Lokujo responses to EU

Moses Lokujo responses to recent sanctions imposed by the European Union | Photo: Via Facebook

Responding to the recent sanctions imposed by the European Union, South Sudan’s blacklisted military commander, General Moses Lokujo, says that travel ban and asset freeze will do him no harm, citing that he doesn’t have a bank account in Europe.


“This is rubbish, I have never gone to European countries nor will I set foot on their territory. Since I was fighting to defend my country and as long as I do not have an active bank account in Europe, the dogs may bark, but the caravan goes on,” said Moses Lokujo in an exclusive interview with Thessherald.


Earlier this week, the European Union imposed a travel ban on Musa Lokujo, for serious human rights violations, including extrajudicial killings and attacks on opposition forces in Kajo-Keji county.

“In South Sudan, the EU has imposed sanctions on Major General Gabriel Moses Lokujo for serious human rights violations in South Sudan in particular extra judicial killings.”

“Three officers of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army in Opposition were abducted and executed on the orders of Major General Gabriel Moses Lokujo,” the European Union.

“Lokujo Announcing his defection from the SPLM-IO to SSPDF
Major General Lokujo defected in September 2020 from the SPLA-IO to the SSPDF and is responsible for the ensuing clashes in and around the Moroto Training Center in southern Central Equatoria.”

“As a consequence, several deaths and injuries were reported on both sides during the last quarter of 2020, and civilians were also displaced, especially in the Kajo-Keji area of Central Equatoria State. Major General Lokujo’s forces remained in the area where several further clashes have been reported and the safety and security of the civilian communities continue to be in jeopardy.”

Under the EU Global Human Rights Sanctions Regime established on 7 December 2020, the listed individuals and entities are subject to an asset freeze in the EU. In addition, listed individuals are subject to a travel ban to the EU. Moreover, persons and entities in the EU are prohibited from making funds available, either directly or indirectly, to those listed.

Defence Minister’s office warns against destructive criticism

President Salva Kiir Mayardit and the Minister of Defence and Veterans Affairs, Angelina Jany Teny at the State House |Photo: © PPU
President Salva Kiir Mayardit and the Minister of Defence and Veterans Affairs, Angelina Jany Teny at the State House |Photo: © PPU

Dec 13, 2020 (Thessherald)–On Saturday, the Office of the Minister of Defence and Veterans Affairs debunked destructive criticism and urged SPLM-IO members not to shift the blame onto Defence Minister Angelina Jany Teny over the recent fighting between the SSPDF and SPLA-IO forces in the Equatoria region.

“The Office of the Minister of Defence and Veteran’s Affairs sighted with concern the trending attacks on social media against the Defence Minister, Hon. Angelina Jany Teny by some aggrieved SPLM/A-IO cadres who are rightly angry with the violations against the SPLA-IO forces in Morota Training Centre,” said Lam Paul Gabriel, Press Secretary and Media Analyst in the Defence Minister’s office.

The Office of the Defence Minister pointed out that, inasmuch as the Minister is open to any criticism, SPLM-IO cadres should be mindful of what they say publicly so as not to damage her image.

“Much as the Minister is opened to any constructive criticism, it should be noted that subjective criticisms meant to tarnish her image as a person is not welcomed.”

Lam added that, “Hon. Teny understands the pain caused by the violations against the Security Arrangements not only in Morota but all over South Sudan. These violations are real threats to the R-ARCSS. However, it is important to know which body or structure is responsible for command and control of the forces.”

Article 2.4.2. of R-ARCSS states that “The JDB shall be formed at the Level of Chiefs of Staffs and Directors General of National Security Services, Police and all other organised forces to exercise command and control over all forces during the Pre- Transitional Period”.

Lam explained that the defence minister does not have any command or authority over the forces given that the two sides have different command structures.

“It is therefore, very clear that the Defence Minister doesn’t have any command and control over any force, but as the Defence Minister and a member of the NTC, she has the responsibility to direct the JDB to exercise to arrest the situation on the ground since they are in charge of the forces to the agreement; which she did several times already.”

“Secondly it should be noted that on 7/10/2020, the Minister showed courage by visiting both forces of the SPLA-IO and SSPDF after the first violations in Morota and directed the JDB to investigate the clashes that occurred and bring those responsible to account. This can’t just go unrecognized if we seriously mean to acknowledge ones efforts towards stopping the aggression in Morota,” he noted.

“Furthermore, the notion of looking at forces in cantonment sites and unified Training Centres as under the command of the SPLA-IO or SSPDF is a complete lack of knowledge of the Agreement. The JMCC is tasked with responsibility of the assembly areas, cantonment sites and barracks while the JTSC is responsible for Training Centres. This misunderstanding of the Agreement is the one that is currently causing such unwanted violations.”

“Finally, the Minister of Defence and Veteran’s Affairs, calls for calm and patience while the JDB does its work to arrest the situation in Morota.”

Pro-government commander Gen. Moses Lokujo attacks SPLM-IO forces

Defiant militia commander, General Moses Lokujo attacks SPLA-IO’s forces in Yei |Photo: File
Defiant militia commander, General Moses Lokujo attacks SPLA-IO’s forces in Yei |Photo: File

Nov 26, 2020 (Thessherald)–A pro-government militia commander, General Moses Lokujo, has been accused of carrying out an attack on opposition forces at their training centers, according to a statement issued by Lam Paul Gabriel, SPLA-IO’s Deputy Military Spokesperson.

The main armed opposition said the recent attack on its forces was a breach of the Permanent Ceasefire and indicated a worse development in a country that has seen a relative calm since 2018.

“This morning the 26/11/2020, at about 6:00am, the defected force of Maj. Gen. Moses Lokujo who is now under the command and control of the SSPDF attacked the SPLA-IO component of Protection force for Morota Unified Training Centre, in complete violation of the permanent ceasefire.”

“The attacking force killed one SPLA-IO soldier and wounded two others, while clashes is still ongoing as they planned to overrun the Training Centre.”

The SPLM/A-IO called upon the SSPDF command to monitor the provocations of Maj. Gen. Lokujo against its forces, which are currently undergoing training at designated cantonment areas in the Equatoria region.

“The SPLA-IO leadership calls upon the SSPDF command to restrain Maj. Gen. Lokuj (who is currently under the command and control of the SSPDF), from the continuous aggression against the SPLA-IO forces in the greater Yei area.”

“It should also be noted that the forces in Morota Training Centre are not only SPLA-IO forces but a component of the unified forces under the command and control of the JTSC and JDB. Therefore, attacking this force is not only a violation but a direct attack against the Security Arrangement in particular and the R-ARCSS in general.”

The group urged the CTSAMVM to investigate the recent attack and hold Maj. Gen. Lokujo’s forces responsible for violating the Permanent Ceasefire.

“The SPLA-IO therefore, calls upon the CTSAMVM and JDB to investigate this violation and bring those responsible to book as soon as possible.”

This is the second time that the defiant commander has attempted to push the country into another conflict by attacking opposition forces at their bases.

“We don’t condone criminality,” SSPDF chief warns Gen. Moses Lokujo

General Johnson Juma Okot, Chief of the SSPDF speaks to a contact during Shirkat incident |Photo: Thessherald.

Oct 1, 2020 (Thessherald)—The chief of the South Sudan’s People Defence Forces (SSPDF), Gen. Johnson Juma Okot who’s also Co-chair of the Joint Defense Board (JDB) has warned the newly defected commander, Maj. Gen. Moses Lokujo against returning the country to war.

Gen. JJ Okot made the remarks on Tuesday while addressing the nation on what had transpired in Kajo-Keji between the SSPDF and SPLA-IO forces.

Gen. Okot pointed out that the SSPDF has well-established command structures and does not condone behavior that amounts to criminality and indiscipline.

“These forces had broken away from the SPLM/A-IO and joined the SSPDF – we don’t condone criminality, we don’t condone insubordinate behavior, we don’t condone people who take laws into their own hands. We have structures… we have laws that governs our conduct of operations,” said Gen. Johnson Juma in a joint press conference on Tuesday.

The Joint Defense Board (JDB) – a body charged with overseeing the operations of the armed forces, called on the general public to remain calm while investigating the matter and summoning the ring leaders.

Major-General Moses Lokujo and other accomplices are reported to have arrived in Juba this morning after being summoned for investigation.