September 11, 2020 (Thessherald)–South Sudanese authorities are under public scrutiny after more than 3 billion South Sudanese Pounds in Non-Oil Revenue (NONR) is said to have been misappropriated, according to a committee led by Hon. Onyoti Adigo.
In a video shared on social media on Friday, the head of the committee disclosed that the Non-Oil Revenue, that could have been used as nation-wide salaries, had been embezzled.
“The committee Headed by HOn. Onyoti Adigo concludes that the past collection has been less and lost to corruption practices in the collection points. Hon. Onyoti said the three month collection alone is enough to pay off salaries in the whole country without using any oil revenue collection.”
“The figures have exposed how much has been lost in the past years from the non-oil revenue collection points that is still unknown,” the state-run media was quoted as saying.
Last year, the country achieved its highest ever receipt of $ 14.2 million in non-oil tax revenue for the first time since it gained independence in 2011.
South Sudan’s government and opposition parties have formed a coalition government to end years of deadly violence in the country.
However, despite the end of the conflict, the sharp drop in global oil prices and the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has worsened the country’s fragile economy.